About the Compass Exam
- Compass consists of three sections: Writing, Reading, and Math (Algebra and Pre-Algebra).
- All items used during the test will be provided by the testing center staff (e.g. calculator, scratch paper, and pencils).
- The test is not pass/fail! This test simply determines where students should start in their programs and indicates if Learning Support courses are required.
- Students must arrive at the testing center with their walk-in form and photo ID before sign-in has ended.
- Testing is on a first come first serve basis.
- During busy times, there may be a short wait before a seat in the testing center becomes available.
- If a student is unable to complete their exam by closing time, they may come back at another time to finish their exam.
Policies & Procedures
- Test proctors will provide materials needed for testing.
- Test scores are valid for 5 years.
- In order to test, students must have a valid photo ID and present the required testing form to the assessment specialist.
- Testing is on a first come first serve basis. During busy times, there may be a short wait before a seat in the testing center becomes available.
- Personal calculators, cell phones, or any type of study aides are not allowed in the testing center.
- Students who are caught cheating will not be allowed to finish their exam and their scores will be voided.
- Calculators will be provided by the testing staff, or students can access the built in calculator on the math portion of the Compass test.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the testing facility.
- Personal music devices and headphones are not allowed in the testing center.
- No talking or leaving the room once you begin your test.
- Test proctors are available to assist with computer use and interpreting scores; however, procotors may not assist with answering test questions.
- Test results can be viewed upon completion of testing.
- An unofficial copy of the test results will be given to students upon completion of their exam.
- Test proctors are not allowed to discuss specific testing results with testers.
- There will be a nonrefundable retest fee of $15.00.
- Applicants cannot retest if they have begun a Learning Support course.
- Once a Learning Support course is completed satisfactorily and a final grade of a "C" or better has been posted, students can retest in that particular subject one time. If the required score is not met, the student must continue with the sequence of courses.
- Test score must be within 5 points of the required Program Score for the specific content areas. (First attempt only.)
- Test scores are valid for 5 years.
- A retest cannot be given within 14 days of the original test date unless approved by staff.
- Applicants planning to retest must report to the business office before testing to pay the retest fee.
- This form must be brought with the student to the testing center and presented to the assessment specialist at the time of testing.
After Completion of the Compass Exam
- Students will receive an unofficial copy of their scores.
- A Testing Specialist will explain test results when exams are completed.
- Scratch paper must be thrown away before leaving the Testing Center.
Exit Testing Policy
- Students who successfully complete RDG 098, ENG 098, and MAT 099 are required to test out of each course on an assigned date determined by the testing center.
- Required minimum scores for exit exams are: Reading - 79; Writing - 62; Algebra - 37.
- If a student does not earn the required score on an exit exam, the student is allowed one retest on the earliest available test date.
- Students still not meeting their score requirements will be referred to the Director of Support Services.
Tips for Taking the Compass
- Take your time.
- Follow all instructions and tutorials carefully.
- If you are unsure of the instructions, don't hesitate to ask one of the testing specialists.