Southern Crescent Technical College has been recently named an award recipient of the Quality Rated Subsidy Grant to provide free childcare through SCTC’s Tender Tech Child Development Center in Thomaston.
The purpose of the Quality Rated Subsidy Grant is to provide eligible working families of infants and/or toddlers with increased access to high quality learning opportunities for their children.
Angie Moore, Tender Tech Director, said, “What an excellent opportunity for the children and parents in our community. Eliminating the expenses of childcare could be a huge burden lifted off of some families and could possibly open the door to increased educational or career opportunities for the parents.”
Requirements for this grant include:
- Eligibility is from July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019
- Open to children ages 6 weeks through 4 years (the 4 year old age group are not yet Ga Pre-K eligible)
- Parents may in qualify several ways –income eligible working at least 24 hours per week,
- full time student studying for a TCC or diploma, (working toward an associate degree or bachelor’s degree are not qualified),
- middle or high school student under the age of 23
- GED students
- Parents 20 and under
- Parents 21 and older (24 hours per week or a combination of school and work to equal 24 hours)
- Income will need to be verified through paycheck stubs for the past 4 weeks or a letter from the college verifying full time status
- Parents will need to complete the application process and attend orientation before child care approval
- Needed documents:
- Pay check stubs for the previous 4 weeks
- Copy of driver’s license
- Copy of social security cards
- Bill to verify Ga residence (no cell phone bills allowed)
- Copy of birth certificate
This grant is a leading-edge initiative provided by the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL) through the Race to the Top-Early Learning Challenge grant, a time limited, federal grant administered by the U.S. Department of Education and Department of Health and Human Services.
For more information on this grant or to determine eligibility, please contact Southern Crescent Technical College Tender Tech Child Development Center at 706.646.6200.
About Tender Tech Child Development Center: Tender Tech Child Development Center is located on the Flint River Campus of Southern Crescent Technical College and offers care for children ages 6 weeks through 12 years of age. Tender Tech is open to the public and teach the children using a hands-on approach to learning through Creative Curriculum. Teachers write each week’s lesson plan based on a unit or theme and include special interactive activities for each child. The faculty at Tender Tech does not use a bought or “boxed curriculum” as we feel those type curriculums simply cannot meet the individual needs of each child. Every quarter, teachers access each child using the Georgia Early Learning Standards as a guide and meet with parents to review their child’s progress. Because of these individual assessments, teachers can plan activities that meet the specific needs of each child. Tender Tech has on-site security guards and cameras in each room. Hours are Monday - Friday from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm and a before and after school program is offered for school-age students. The Upson-Lee school bus picks up children before school and delivers children back to Tender Tech after school. In addition, Tender Tech offers full -day child care camps for school-age students during spring and summer school breaks. The camp is full of fun interactive activities including weekly field trips, guest speakers, musical productions and more! Please contact us for more information, prices, or to arrange a tour of the center.