Southern Crescent Technical College instructs and evaluates students on work ethic in all programs of study. Ten work ethic traits have been identified and defined as essential for students' success: appearance, attendance, attitude, character, communication, cooperation, organizational skill, productivity, respect and teamwork.
Work ethic skills are vital in the workplace, because employers seek professionals who have a track record of excellent work ethic. All too often, employers find that they have hired qualified employees who do not demonstrate excellent work ethic, and this leads to costly roll overs in employment and training.
Southern Crescent Technical College incorporates work ethic competencies into the curriculum, instructs students on work ethic attributes, and evaluates the work ethic skills of students in all programs of study. All students are expected to utilize appropriate work ethic while enrolled.
During the fall and spring semester of each academic year, Southern Crescent Technical College designates one week to highlight work ethic and acknowledge students who have demonstrated excellent work ethic. Instructors are asked to nominate up to two students per program that stand out amongst their peers regarding work ethic, and those students are honored by Southern Crescent Technical College through recognition and awards. Specifically, the college posts advertisements on the campus wide television screens and holds a ceremony where students are presented with a work ethic Certificate of Excellence. Each student presented with a certificate of excellence is encouraged to update their resumes to include this achievement.
Instructors assess students on the following work ethic qualities in and out of the classroom:
- Appearance: Displays appropriate dress, grooming, hygiene, and etiquette.
- Attendance: Attends class, arrives and leaves on time, notifies instructor in advance of planned absences, and makes up assignments punctually.
- Attitude: Demonstrates a positive attitude, appears self-confident and has realistic expectations of self.
- Character: Displays loyalty, honesty, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, initiative, self-discipline and self-responsibility.
- Communication: Displays appropriate verbal and non-verbal skills and listens.
- Cooperation: Displays leadership skills; appropriately handles criticism, conflicts, and complaints; demonstrates problem-solving capability; maintains appropriate relationships with supervisors and peers; follows chain of command.
- Organizational Skill: Manifests skills in personal management, prioritizing, flexibility, stress management and dealing with change.
- Productivity: Follows safety practices, conserves materials, keeps work area neat and clean, and follows directions and procedures.
- Respect: Deals appropriately with cultural and racial diversity and does not engage in harassment of any kind, shows empathy and tolerance.
- Teamwork: Respects rights of others, is a team worker, is cooperative, is assertive, displays a customer service attitude, seeks opportunities for continuous service attitude, seeks opportunities for continuous learning, displays mannerly behavior.
Southern Crescent Technical College strives to ensure the college exhibits a strong culture of work ethic that is the focus of both employees and students.