The Technical College System of Georgia is committed to assisting students achieve their maximum potential. All students applying for degree, diploma, and certificate programs must be assessed prior to acceptance. We accept the following tests: ASSET, COMPASS, ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER, and COMPANION. If you require special accommodations during testing, you must request accommodations with the Special Services Coordinator or Testing staff. If you attended a regionally accredited institution and completed a College English or College Algebra course, receiving a grade of C or higher; or obtained an associate's degree or higher, you are not required to take the ACCUPLACER test.
ACCUPLACER is a suite of tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. ACCUPLACER is used to identify your strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and to help you improve your skills through interactive online learning tools. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your goals and interests, are used by academic advisors to place you in the appropriate college courses.
The COMPANION tests is a paper-and-pencil format for students who choose not use the computer-based test. The paper-and-pencil COMPANION tests have been designed to use the same score scales as the computer-adaptive tests in ACCUPLACER.
Thank you for selecting our college to fulfill your academic goals. If you require further assistance, please contact the Testing Center.
If a student requires special accommodations for testing, a request detailing those accommodations must be submitted prior to testing. The appropriate documentation provided must be completed by a licensed personnel and within the last three years of the anticipated enrollment date.
To request services, please contact:
Teresa Brooks - Special Services Coordinator: (770) 228-7258
Mary Jackson - Special Services Coordinator/Title IX/Equity/ADA 504 Coordinator: (706) 646-6224
Have questions? Email us.
Testing Centers Hours of Operation
***All Testing Centers will be closed Wednesday, January 23rd.***
Policies & Procedures
ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive computer–adaptive testing system that helps to place students in appropriate courses and maximizes the information SCTC needs to ensure student success. ACCUPLACER consists of three components: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The mathematics components consist of Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra. If a student’s scores reflect learning support is needed, students will be placed in the appropriate courses. Your test scores will determine if you need additional courses and fees. A retest is offered if a student does not meet the minimum requirement score for his/her program.
Policies & Procedures
- Personal calculators, cell phones, or any type of study aides are not allowed in the testing center.
- Students who are caught cheating will not be allowed to complete their exam and their scores will be voided.
- Students must have a valid photo ID, visitor badge and present the required testing form to the Assessment Specialist.
- Calculators will be provided by the testing staff or students can access the built in calculator on the math portion of the ACCUPLACER exam.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the testing facility.
- Personal music devices, headphones, bluetooth, nor hats are allowed in the Testing Centers.
- Visitors, children, spouses, family or friends are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- Testing staff are available to assist with computer use and interpreting scores; however, testing staff may not assist with answering test questions.
- Test results can be viewed upon the completion of the exam and an unofficial copy will be given to students.
- The ACCUPLACER exam is not timed.
- The test, on average, takes 3 hours to complete.
Retest Policy & Guidelines
- Retest Policy:
- 1st Retest: Must take Diagnostic (any student who does not make acceptable cut scores can retest, the diagnostic will provide details on the areas they are deficient in for retest preparation).
- 2nd Retest: Confidence Builder required (this tool provides additional practice). If the student does not earn acceptable scores after testing the third time he/she will need to take the learning support course(s) associated with his/her scores.
- Once a learning support course is completed satisfactorily, and a final grade has been posted, students can retest in that particular subject one time. If the required score is not met, the student must continue with the sequence of learning.
- There will be a nonrefundable retest fee of $15.00.
- A retest cannot be given within 7 days of the original test date unless approved by staff.
- Applicants planning to retest, must report to the Business Office before testing to pay the retest fee.
- This form must be brought with the student to the Testing Center and presented to the Assessment Specialist at the time of testing.
Test Preparation Tools
The ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive computer–adaptive testing system that helps to place students in appropriate courses and maximizes the information SCTC needs to ensure student success. The ACCUPLACER consists of three components: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The mathematics components consist of Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra. The test questions are based on your responses to each question you’ve already answered. Questions increase or decrease in difficulty depending on your answers as you work through the test.
ACCUPLACER tests are untimed, so you can move at a comfortable pace. It’s important to give yourself enough time to do your best and complete the test because your results are the key factor in determining the courses you can take. Your results will be available immediately after you complete the test. If a student’s scores reflect learning support is needed, students will be placed in the appropriate courses. Your test scores will determine if you need additional courses and fees. A retest is offered if a student does not meet the minimum requirement score for his/her program.
ACCUPLACER's web-based study app is accessible from any internet capable computer, tablet, or mobile device. The free study app may be downloaded from your computer or your app store.
Tips for taking the ACCUPLACERTake your time.
Follow all instructions and tutorials carefully.
If you are unsure of the instructions, don't hesitate to ask the testing staff.
Mobile Unit 3B
501 Varsity Road
Griffin, GA 30223
Flint River Campus
1533 Hwy 19 South
Thomaston, GA 30286
Henry County Center
300 Lakemont Drive
Butts County Center
1578 Highway 16
West Jackson, Georgia
Jasper County Center
112 Industrial Park Drive