A person with a disability is any person who:
- has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more life activities including walking, talking, seeing, hearing, breathing, learning, and working
- has a record of such an impairment
- is regarded as having such impairments
Some common disabilities are:
- Hearing and Visual Impairments
- Psychiatric/Psychological Disabilities
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Closed Head Injury
Some accommodations or services include:
- Assistance with registration and scheduling
- Contact with Vocational Rehabilitation Services and other agencies serving people with disabilities
- Sign language interpreters, readers, or note-takers
- Special testing arrangements (i.e. extended time, reader, or separate room, etc.)
- Assistance with obtaining large print, taped, or Braille materials
- Special classroom seating
- Other Assistive Technology
Southern Crescent Technical College offers accommodations and services to assist students with disabilities to achieve their educational goals.
To establish eligibility, students must request services by contacting the Special Services Coordinator's Office. Students should notify the Special Services Coordinator as soon as they are accepted to ensure timely provision of services.
- Provide appropriate documentation for the disability.
- Provide recommendations for classroom accommodations.
- Request accommodations each and every semester.
- Present accommodation form and discuss with each instructor appropriate accommodations.
*Self-advocacy is encouraged.
If a student has never been evaluated to establish eligibility for a disability, or is in need of a current evaluation, the Special Services Coordinator may refer the student to the appropriate resource agency at the expense of the student, if there is a fee involved.
To request services, please contact:
Griffin Campus Flint River Campus
Special Services Coordinator Special Services Coordinator
ADA/Section 504 Coordinator ADA/Section 504 Coordinator
Phone: (770) 228-7258 Phone: (706) 646-6224
A qualified individual with a disability who wants this or any SCTC publication in an accessible format should make their request known to the ADA/Section 504 Coordinator at the telephone number listed above.
It is the policy of the Federal Government (see section on ADA of 1990), Southern Crescent Technical College, and the Special Services Program that persons with disabilities are not to be discriminated upon this factor. The confidentiality of a person with a disability is also covered by the nondiscrimination statement and must be abided to at all time. The student is not required to show documentation of their disability to any person or office at Southern Crescent other than the Special Services Program. The Special Services Program retains the student's file and determines the student's accommodations with respect to their individual disability and need. A student's disability is not to be shared with anyone.