Around The Campus
Spring Graduation 2018
Cafe News and Menus
Hours and Menu for the week
Summer Semester Business Hours
- Breakfast: 8 am—9:45 am
- Lunch: 11 am—1 pm
- CLOSED: FRIDAY
- Fall 2018 Graduation Workshops and Cap/Gown Pickups for the December 2018 Graduation Ceremony are now scheduled. Schedules can found at Griffin Campus Schedules and Flint River Campus Schedules.
- DHL is hiring! Please visit with DHL recruiters on Wednesday, September 19th between 11:00am and 2:00pm outside of the Café on the Griffin campus. The recruiters are interviewing and hiring on-site for full-time and part-time positions. You can also apply by texting “DHL JOBS ATL” to 31996. www.workforDHL.com
- Southern Crescent Technical College (SCTC) was recently selected by the Georgia Environmental Finance Authority (GEFA) to participate in the Solar for Schools Program and awarded a $58,000 matching grant for a 33 kW solar roof mount array. Solar for Schools is an educational program that provides technical college students the opportunity to enter the workforce specializing in electrical applications for installing, inspecting, and repairing solar panels. Students use the knowledge they acquire in the classroom to install solar projects on campus.
- Mr. Joel Quadracci, Chairman/President/CEO of Quad Graphics recently made a $10,000 donation to the Southern Crescent Technical College Foundation to support the start of an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) program on the Flint River Campus.
- Southern Crescent Technical College Foundation, Inc. recently received a $10,000 grant from the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. The grant will be used to implement an advocacy program to expand Adult Education enrollment, student success and GED testing in Spalding County.
- The Dart Foundation has awarded a grant of $99,405.00 to the Southern Crescent Technical College Foundation, Inc., to be used for the Mechatronics Lab on the Flint River Campus in Thomaston. The funds from the grant will be used to purchase trainers that will allow students to learn cutting edge technical skills such as robotics, Ethernet communication, advanced PLC, and voltage frequency motor drive operations. The trainers, which include the FANUC Robot, the Allen Bradley PLC Trainer, the Siemens PLC Trainer, and the Voltage Frequency Drive/Ethernet Trainer, will enhance the training for students and provide world-class maintenance technicians for area companies.
- The Georgia Power Foundation, Inc., A Southern Company, has awarded The Southern Crescent Technical College (SCTC) Foundation $5,000 to be used for student support. The SCTC Foundation awards Georgia Power Company Toolbox Scholarships, which assist in the purchase of program-required tools, uniforms and/or equipment with the funds.
OUT OF STOCK BOOKS:
(Format: Title-Expected Date)
FILM 1030-05/24 (requested late 5/21)
BOOKSTORE EXTENDED HOURS:
Note: Both bookstores will be closed September 25-28 for Inventory.
May 21 – May 22: 8am to 6pm
Normal store hours beginning May 23: 8:30am-4pm M-Thursday & 8am-12 Friday
Normal Store hours: 8am-6:30pm M-Thursday & 8am-12 Friday
New Employees Information
Welcome to Southern Crescent Technical College, here you will find everything you need to get started as a new employee of the College.
All new employees are required to participate in New Employee Orientation within the first 30 days of employment.
All New Hire Forms and Documents must be completed and processed through Human Resources within the first 30 days of employment. If Benefits documents are not received within 30 days of employment, you will not be eligible to participate in the State Health Benefit Plan or Flexible Benefits provided through GABreeze.
Please return all documents to the Human Resources Office, 501 Varsity Road, Griffin GA or 1533 Highway 19 South, Thomaston, GA.
Welcome Our New Employees
|Jeffery Bright||Teacher, Adult Education|
|Jerinda Hayes||Teacher, Adult Education|
|Khristy Ishmael||Teacher, Adult Education|
|Brianna Moore||Receptionist, Career Services|
|Tammy Lyn Tinley||Assistant, Library|
|Daniel Merritt||Coordinator, Maintenance|
SCTC Job Postings
|Job Title||Display Location|
|Dental Assisting Clinical Coordinator-Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Job Title||Display Location|
|Adult Education Substitute Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Air Conditioning Technology Instructor||Flint River Campus|
|Art Appreciation Instructor||Griffin Campus & Henry County Center|
|Automotive Technology Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Career and Academic Advisor||Griffin Campus|
|Clinical Nursing Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Commercial Truck Driving Instructor||Flint River Campus, Butts County Center|
|Commercial Truck Driving Instructor Economic Development||Flint River Campus, Butts County Center|
|Cosmetology Instructor||Multiple Campus locations|
|Economics Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Educational Aide – Adult Education||Multiple Campus locations|
|Educational Aide – Adult Education||Griffin Campus|
|Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Professional Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Film Production Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Film Technology – Lighting and Electric Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Health Care Management Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Humanities Instructor||Griffin Campus, Henry County Center|
|Industrial Manufacturing Engineering Instructor||Henry County Center|
|Industrial Systems Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Machine Tool Technology Instructor||Griffin Campus|
|Medical Assisting Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Phlebotomy Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Physics Instructor||Multiple Campus Locations|
|Water Quality Instructor||Henry County Campus|
|Welding Lab Assistant||Jasper County Center|
For more information on available positions or to apply, please visit Application Policy Procedures.
Fall 2018 Graduation Workshop Information
|Wednesday, September 12, 2018||10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Thursday, September 20, 2018||10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Wednesday, October 3, 2018||10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Monday, October 15, 2018||10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.||Chappell Hall|
|Thursday, November 1, 2018||10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Friday, November 9, 2018||8:30 a.m.||Event Center|
Cap and Gown Pickups
|Thursday, September 20, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Wednesday, October 3, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Monday, October 15, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Chappell Hall|
|Thursday, November 1, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Event Center|
|Friday, November 9, 2018||9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||Event Center|
Fall 2018 Graduation Workshop Information
(Flint River Campus)
|Monday, October 1, 2018||10:00 a.m.||A250 CAP Center|
|Wednesday, October 17, 2018||10:00 a.m.||A250 CAP Center|
|Wednesday, October 31, 2018||10:00 a.m.||A250 CAP Center|
|Thursday, November 8, 2018||10:00 a.m.||A250 CAP Center|
Cap and Gown Pickups
|Monday, October 1, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||A256|
|Wednesday, October 17, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||A256|
|Wednesday, October 31, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||A256|
|Thursday, November 8, 2018||11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||A256|
- Employees MUST submit travel within 60 days of trip completion to prevent travel reimbursement from being reported as taxable income.
- The system will flag a traveler’s expense report with lots of warnings, such as the exceptions shown above!
- These exceptions only serve as warnings, they do not prevent report submission and no one is keeping track of the number of report exceptions an employee has received.
- Be prepared to see these warnings before actually reaching the 30 or 45 day mark. We are aware the system is doing this, this will not prevent you from submitting your report.
Safety Tip of the Week
- Never leave personal property unattended in your classroom . Take your possessions with you.
|Emergency Contact Numbers|
|Fire, Police, Ambulance||911|
|Campus Police Dispatch Center|
|Officer on Duty Contacts|
|Griffin Campus||(770) 883-6032|
|Flint River Campus||(678) 603-5979|
|Butts Center||(678) 603-6918|
|Henry Center||(678) 603-5609|
|Jasper Center||(678) 603-5948|
Over the last 90 days, Top 10
|/ (Front Page)||234,804(21.12%)|
|/currentstudents/ … /online-resources/blackboard-lms/||127,387(11.46%)|
|/futurestudents/ … /online-orientation-form/||12,187(1.10%)|
Data tracking the path users take on our website also shows that a large percentage of users take one of the following 2 paths:
- Front Page, Current Students, Blackboard
- Current Students, Blackboard
A number of students also likely have the Blackboard login page bookmarked and only visit the Front Page, or Current Students if they are seeking a page other than Blackboard. Nonetheless, the 18.99% Page Views for Current Students is quite high considering the total number of different pages we have that are being viewed. The Current Students landing/front page should probably be considered an area to make important information for students more prominent. If you have any ideas let me know firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessibility Do’s and Don’t
In Office documents:
Do: Use tables to represent tabular data in word documents, and other office documents like PowerPoint.
Example of formatting using a table: (This is example data for illustration purposes, not actual events)
|Event Example||Day Example||Time Example||Location Example|
|Student Achievement Luncheon||Monday, April 2nd, 2018||10:00am||Library|
|Book Buyback||Wednesday, April 11th, 2018||1:00pm||Bookstore|
|Public Speaking Tips||Thursday, April 18th, 2018||2:00pm||Event Center|
|Graduation Workshop||Tuesday, April 24th, 2018||10:00am||Event Center|
|Math Tutoring||Monday, April 30th, 2018||11:00am||Tutoring Center|
Don’t: Use tabs to align tabular data. Using tabs to format data is exclusively a convention to help people see the data. This doesn’t help anyone who can’t see the alignment structure. To support assistive technology, an actual table with cells and headers should be used. Tables are also easier to visually process compared to tab aligned formatting.
How-To: In your Office document go to the “Insert” tab and select “Table”. You can either define a number of rows and columns or you can insert a table from an existing Excel document.