- Major Code: ST12
- Award Level: Diploma
- Location: Griffin Campus
- Program Entrance Term: Spring
- Minimum Length of Program: 5 Terms
- Minimum Credit Hours for Graduation: 57
The Surgical Technology (ST) program provides entry-level skills in surgical technology. As an essential team-member in the operating room of hospitals, labor & delivery departments, outpatient surgical centers, and specialized surgical centers, the surgical technologist is responsible for tasks and duties in the perioperative phases of surgery. The surgical technology student will encounter training in the didactic and clinical setting in over twelve specialty areas. Topics include: aseptic technique, sterilization methods, surgical positioning and draping, perioperative case planning, surgical wound management, professional ethics, microbes and infection, perioperative pharmacology, robotic surgery, minimally invasive surgery, general surgery and various surgical specialties.
- Submit completed application and application fee
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or GED transcript with test scores and ALL post-secondary transcripts in an official sealed envelope
- Meet assessment requirements
Admission Requirements for Surgical Technology Courses
Student is listed as a Healthcare Assistant student until completion of the Competitive Selection Process and acceptance into the ST Diploma Program. The Competitive Selection Process is based on the combination of the highest competitive courses’ GPA and PSB test score. Only courses found in the Healthcare Assistance Certificate are considered by Financial Aid while the student is under that program.
Students who are not successful in their first attempt in the ST program and/or withdraw for medical reasons can attempt readmission based on the competitive selection process. Readmission is not guaranteed and is a one-time readmission with the following condition: repeat of the SURG1010 course.
Approximate additional costs other than tuition, fees, and textbooks.
|Practice certification exam||$50|
The ST Program, a day-time only program, will admit once each year on the Griffin Campus. The deadline to apply for Competitive Selection is the last day of the Summer Term. The program cohort begins each Spring Semester. The following steps are required:
- Complete the five competitive selection courses with minimum grade of C or better; there is no minimum GPA required (ENGL 1010, MATH 1012, PSYC 1010, ALHS 1090, ALHS 1011)
- Obtain CPR certification - Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers through the American Heart Association
- Complete the PSB Exam. Please visit the Community Education Building 100 for scheduling and information (there is no minimum score required).
- Complete a Program-Ready Form. Submit it, along with a copy of the PSB Exam score, to the Allied Health Secretary, Mrs. Annie Tucker, located in the Medical Technology Building 900.
- Upon acceptance into the ST Program, the successful completion of a criminal background and drug screen along with a History and Physical prior to beginning the Spring cohort
|ENGL 1010||Fundamentals of English I||3|
|MATH 1012||Foundations of Mathematics||3|
|PSYC 1010||Basic Psychology||3|
|ALHS 1011||Anatomy and Physiology||5|
|ALHS 1090||Medical Terminology for Allied Health Sciences||2|
|SURG 1010||Introduction to Surgical Technology||8|
|SURG 1020||Principles of Surgical Technology||7|
|SURG 2110||Surgical Technology Clinical I||3|
|SURG 1100||Surgical Pharmacology||2|
|SURG 2030||Surgical Procedures I||4|
|SURG 2120||Surgical Technology Clinical II||3|
|SURG 1080||Surgical Microbiology||2|
|SURG 2040||Surgical Procedures II||4|
|SURG 2130||Surgical Technology Clinical III||3|
|SURG 2140||Surgical Technology Clinical IV||3|
|SURG 2240||Seminar in Surgical Technology||2|
Career and Academic Planning