Tax Preparation Specialist
The Tax Preparation Specialist technical certificate is designed to provide entry-level skills for tax preparers. Topics include principles of accounting, tax accounting, business calculators, mathematics, and basic computer skills.
- Location: Griffin and Henry Campuses
- Major Code: TPS1
- Award Level: Technical Certificate of Credit
- Program Entrance Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
- Minimum Length of Program: 2 Terms
- Minimum Credit Hours for Graduation: 16
- Submit completed application and application fee
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or GED transcript with test scores and ALL post-secondary transcripts in an official sealed envelope
- Meet assessment requirements
To ensure that students graduate with current skills in Accounting, the following courses must be taken five years prior to graduation:
- ACCT 1115—Computerized Accounting
- ACCT 1120—Spreadsheet Applications
- ACCT 1125— Individual Tax Accounting
- ACCT 1130—Payroll Accounting
Courses transferred from other colleges also follow the five year rule.
The following is a suggested path to complete this program in a timely manner. An individual’s path to completion may be different based on institutional and personal factors affecting his/her academic progress.
Note: While all courses are offered, they may vary by term and campus. See the program advisor for any questions.
|First Term||ACCT 1100||Financial Accounting I||4|
|ACCT 1125||Individual Tax Accounting||3|
|Choose One: Required|
|COLL 1500||College Success & Career Exploration||3|
|COMP 1000||Introduction to Computers||3|
|Second Term||ACCT 2120||Business Tax Accounting||3|
|Electives||*Specific Occupational electives:|
|ACCT 2140||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|ACCT 2145||Personal Finance||3|
|ACCT 2150||Principles of Auditing||3|
|ACCT 2155||Principles of Fraud Examination||3|