Tutoring & Mentoring Center Staff
Director of Tutoring/Mentoring: Liz Jester Email: email@example.com
English/Reading Tutor: Jan Purcell Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Math Tutor: Kathleen Mayer Email: email@example.com
Math Tutor: James Taylor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
English Tutor: Alicia Robbins-Jones Email: email@example.com
English Tutor: Mia Varnadoe Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutoring & Mentoring Center
Welcome to the Tutoring & Mentoring Center!
- We have learning specialists who provide high-quality tutoring in the following areas: English, reading, and math.
- Student peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects.
- Open group study sessions led by tutors and/or mentors are held regularly.
- Students may schedule self-organized study groups for any subject in our collaborative space.
- ALL students (including those taking classes at any campus and online) can receive help with non-subject-specific study skills, as well as tips on time management, organization, test taking, stress reduction, and more!
- We can accommodate both pre-scheduled appointments and walk-ins. To set up an appointment with a tutor, use the "Request an Appointment" tab above.
***Online tutoring services are provided by NetTutor in the following classes: Accounting 1100, Biology 2113, Biology 2114, Chemistry 1211, English 1010, English 1101, and all Math classes.***
How to Access NetTutor
- Log into Blackboard.
- Click on the class associated with NetTutor.
- NetTutor is located in the following classes: --- ACCT 1100, BIOL 2113, BIOL 2114, CHEM 1271, ENGL 1010, ENGL 1101, and all MATH classes.
- Once in the class associated with NetTutor, click NetTutor which is located under resources.
- Click on the underlined word NetTutor.
- Accept the agreement terms.
- Click on the appropriate subject for tutoring.
- Once in the virtual classroom, you will be verbally notified of the number of students ahead of you.
- The online tutor will appear when it is your turn to be tutored.
- Students can schedule appointments online or by calling or visiting the campus they wish to receive services:
- Griffin: 770-229-3078
- Flint: 706-646-6397
- Henry: 770-914-4411
- You may schedule two appointments (30 minutes) per subject each week.
- After two scheduled appointments, students must be a walk in the remainder of the week. Be mindful that a tutor may not be available during a walk in, but we almost always have peer mentors on hand who can help you with something!
- Students are required to call if they cannot make a scheduled appointment. Failure to cancel appointments will result in being denied scheduled appointments for the rest of the semester.
- Sign in at our tracking station every time you visit the center, even if it is just to make an appointment or ask a quick question.
- Come with material to work on in your session, including copies of assignment guidelines and relevant course textbooks.
- Friends and family members may not participate in individual tutoring sessions, but any student is welcome in the center as long as he/she is not causing a disturbance to those who are working.
- Plan to arrive early for scheduled appointments so you can get yourself organized and be prepared to begin on time.
The Study Lounge
The tutoring and mentoring center offers open study sessions in Math and English on a weekly basis. A tutor or peer mentor will serve multiple students. Please see below for upcoming open study session dates and times.
Alternate Hours and Locations: Due to limited staffing, regularly schedule open study sessions at the Flint River and Henry County locations are limited. However, any student or faculty member may request open study sessions be scheduled at any of our Tutoring and Mentoring Centers. Please email your request to email@example.com or call directly the location at which you would like to see an open study session scheduled. Flint River: Call 706-646-6397 Henry County: Call 770-914-4411.
In addition to the Griffin Campus Tutoring & Mentoring Center, we also offer tutoring and mentoring at the Flint River and Henry County campuses.
English & Math Tutoring in room 604
Tutors: Jan Purcell, Kathleen Mayer, James Taylor
Flint River Campus
English Tutoring in room A500
Tutor: Mia Varnadoe
English Tutoring (Location varies based on day)
Tutor: Alicia Robbins-Jones
Peer mentoring in math now available! Contact the center where you take classes to schedule an appointment.
As set forth in full in the student handbook/course catalog, Southern Crescent Technical College is an Equal Opportunity Institution and a Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.