Tutoring & Mentoring Center Staff
Director of Tutoring and Mentoring: John Hurst
Math/Science: Dakota Weaver
English/Reading Tutor: Jan Purcell
Math Tutor: James Taylor
Academic Tutor: Holly Bacon
Tutoring & Mentoring Center
Welcome to the Tutoring & Mentoring Center at SCTC!
- We have learning specialists who provide high-quality tutoring in the following areas: English, reading, and math.
- Student peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects.
- Open group study sessions led by tutors and/or mentors are held regularly.
- Students may schedule self-organized study groups for any subject in our collaborative space.
- ALL students (including those taking classes at any campus and online) can receive help with non-subject-specific study skills, as well as tips on time management, organization, test taking, stress reduction, and more!
- We can accommodate both pre-scheduled appointments and walk-ins. To set up an appointment with a tutor, check out our handy new Online Appointment Scheduling Page or call the campus you wish to receive service.
- Students can schedule appointments online or by calling or visiting the campus they wish to receive services:
- Griffin: 770-229-3078
- Flint: 706-646-6397
- Henry: 770-914-4418
- You may schedule two appointments (30 minutes) per subject each week.
- After two scheduled appointments, students must be a walk in the remainder of the week. Be mindful that a tutor may not be available during a walk in, but we almost always have peer mentors on hand who can help you with something!
- Students are required to cancel if they cannot make a scheduled appointment. Appointments may be canceled online up to 3 hours prior to the scheduled time and up to 5 minutes prior to scheduled time by directly calling the location where you are scheduled to received service. Failure to cancel appointments will result in being denied scheduled appointments for the rest of the semester.
- Services are for SCTC students only.
- Sign in at our tracking station every time you visit the center, even if it is just to make an appointment or ask a quick question.
- Come with material to work on in your session, including copies of assignment guidelines and relevant course textbooks.
- Friends and family members may not participate in individual tutoring sessions, but any student is welcome in the center as long as he/she is not causing a disturbance to those who are working.
- Plan to arrive early for scheduled appointments so you can get yourself organized and be prepared to begin on time.
Take advantage of free tutoring services at any of our three SCTC locations: Griffin, Flint River (Thomaston), and Henry County (McDonough).
Tutoring & Mentoring in room 604
Monday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Tuesday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am-12:00 pm
Tutoring & Mentoring in Student Success Center (B101)
Monday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
Tuesday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
Wednesday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
Thursday: 8:00 am-4:00 pm.
Flint River Campus
Open Sessions in room A416
Monday & Wednesday: 9:00 am-10:30 am
Tuesday & Thursday: 10:00 am-4:00 pm.
Please keep in mind that in addition to our tutors, peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects! If you need help with something other than what you see above, contact the center where you take classes to let us know what you need.
Did you know that Tutoring and Mentoring makes house calls? That's right. We will send a TaM representative right to your door (your classroom door, that is). Please consider inviting us to speak to your students...
- at the beginning of the term
- after the first test
- before midterm
- just after the withdrawal deadline
- anytime you feel they might benefit from a reminder that academic support services are available!
Our visits can range from a 5-minute overview of our services to a full 60-minute workshop on topics such as study skills, note-taking, memorization techniques, and overcoming test anxiety.
Simply click on the button below to fill out a request form with the details of what you need, and we will get back with you within a day or two to confirm.
As set forth in full in the student handbook/course catalog, Southern Crescent Technical College is an Equal Opportunity Institution and a Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.