Tutoring & Mentoring Center Staff
Director of Tutoring and Mentoring: John Hurst
Math/CIS: Chase Corbin
Math/Science: Dakota Weaver
Math Tutor: James Taylor
Academic Tutor: Holly Bacon
Tutoring & Mentoring Center
Welcome to the Tutoring & Mentoring Center at SCTC!
- We have learning specialists who provide high-quality tutoring in the following areas: English, reading, and math.
- Student peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects.
- Open group study sessions led by tutors and/or mentors are held regularly.
- Students may schedule self-organized study groups for any subject in our collaborative space.
- ALL students (including those taking classes at any campus and online) can receive help with non-subject-specific study skills, as well as tips on time management, organization, test taking, stress reduction, and more!
- We can accommodate both pre-scheduled appointments and walk-ins. To set up an appointment with a tutor, check out our handy new Online Appointment Scheduling Page or call the campus you wish to receive service.
- Until further notice, all tutoring will be available on Blackboard Collaborate, email, and phone.There are two ways you can receive tutoring: by appointment or by drop-ins.Appointments can be scheduled through this page.We will hold drop-in hours via Collaborate on Monday and Thursday from 1:00 pm-3:00 pm. This is perfect for students who would like some quick help. The link will be available here each Monday and Thursday. If you need extensive help, we recommend scheduling an appointment.When you schedule a Blackboard Collaborate session, you will need to have access to your SCTC Email, as this is how the tutor will invite you before your appointment. E-Mail and Phone sessions are an additional option for those who need essay writing, study skills, and/or grammar help. If you need feedback on an essay, please submit your paper to your tutor twenty-four hours before your appointment to get adequate feedback.**If your requests fall outside of our hours of operation or expertise level, please consult with Tutor.com; each Blackboard course shell has a link to this site.**You can reach us by contacting:
770-229-3078 (Telephone #)
706-646-6255 (Telephone #)
email@example.com (Director of TaM)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Academic Tutor)
email@example.com (Academic Tutor)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Academic Tutor)
email@example.com (Academic Tutor)
- Services are for SCTC students only.
- Sign in at our tracking station every time you visit the center, even if it is just to make an appointment or ask a quick question.
- Come with material to work on in your session, including copies of assignment guidelines and relevant course textbooks.
- Friends and family members may not participate in individual tutoring sessions, but any student is welcome in the center as long as he/she is not causing a disturbance to those who are working.
- Plan to arrive early for scheduled appointments so you can get yourself organized and be prepared to begin on time.
Did you know that Tutoring and Mentoring makes house calls? That's right. We will send a TaM representative right to your door (your classroom door, that is). Please consider inviting us to speak to your students...
- at the beginning of the term
- after the first test
- before midterm
- just after the withdrawal deadline
- anytime you feel they might benefit from a reminder that academic support services are available!
Our visits can range from a 5-minute overview of our services to a full 60-minute workshop on topics such as study skills, note-taking, memorization techniques, and overcoming test anxiety.
Simply click on the button below to fill out a request form with the details of what you need, and we will get back with you within a day or two to confirm.
As set forth in full in the student handbook/course catalog, Southern Crescent Technical College is an Equal Opportunity Institution and a Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.