Tutoring & Mentoring Center Staff
Director of Tutoring/Mentoring: Liz Jester
English/Reading Tutor: Jan Purcell
Math Tutor: Kathleen Mayer
Math Tutor: James Taylor
English Tutor: Alicia Robbins-Jones
Academic Tutor: Daniel German
Tutoring & Mentoring Center
Welcome to the Tutoring & Mentoring Center at SCTC!
- We have learning specialists who provide high-quality tutoring in the following areas: English, reading, and math.
- Student peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects.
- Open group study sessions led by tutors and/or mentors are held regularly.
- Students may schedule self-organized study groups for any subject in our collaborative space.
- ALL students (including those taking classes at any campus and online) can receive help with non-subject-specific study skills, as well as tips on time management, organization, test taking, stress reduction, and more!
- We can accommodate both pre-scheduled appointments and walk-ins. To set up an appointment with a tutor, use the "Request an Appointment" tab above.
***Online tutoring services are provided by NetTutor in the following classes: Accounting 1100, Biology 2113, Biology 2114, Chemistry 1151, English 1010, English 1101, and all Math classes.***
How to Access NetTutor
- Log into Blackboard.
- Click on the class associated with NetTutor.
- NetTutor is located in the following classes: ACCT 1100, BIOL 2113, BIOL 2114, CHEM 1151, ENGL 1010, ENGL 1101, and all MATH classes.
- Once inside the Bbl class associated with NetTutor, click NetTutor which is located in the left side menu.
- Click on the NetTutor link.
- Accept the agreement terms if they pop up.
- Click on the appropriate subject for tutoring.
- Select whether you want to meet with a live tutor or simply drop off a question.
- Once in the virtual classroom, you will be verbally notified of the number of students ahead of you.
- The online tutor will appear when it is your turn to be tutored.
*NOTE: All live tutoring sessions are recorded and stored in your NetTutor locker. You may return to NetTutor and re-watch any previously recorded tutoring session as many times as you like.
- Students can schedule appointments online or by calling or visiting the campus they wish to receive services:
- Griffin: 770-229-3078
- Flint: 706-646-6397
- Henry: 770-914-4411
- You may schedule two appointments (30 minutes) per subject each week.
- After two scheduled appointments, students must be a walk in the remainder of the week. Be mindful that a tutor may not be available during a walk in, but we almost always have peer mentors on hand who can help you with something!
- Students are required to call if they cannot make a scheduled appointment. Failure to cancel appointments will result in being denied scheduled appointments for the rest of the semester.
- Services are for SCTC students only.
- Sign in at our tracking station every time you visit the center, even if it is just to make an appointment or ask a quick question.
- Come with material to work on in your session, including copies of assignment guidelines and relevant course textbooks.
- Friends and family members may not participate in individual tutoring sessions, but any student is welcome in the center as long as he/she is not causing a disturbance to those who are working.
- Plan to arrive early for scheduled appointments so you can get yourself organized and be prepared to begin on time.
The Study Lounge
The tutoring and mentoring center offers open study sessions in Math and English, as well as PSB and TEAS test prep assistance, on a weekly basis. No appointment is needed to attend open study sessions. Students must bring material they wish to review with them to these sessions (sample problems, assignments in progress, graded assessments with errors identified, study guides, etc.) A tutor or peer mentor will serve multiple students during these times. Please see below for upcoming open study session dates and times.
FLINT RIVER CAMPUS
Open Study Session Calendar
for Fall Term 2018 (August 20-December 6)
TEAS/PSB Test Prep:
Open Study Session Calendar
for Fall Term 2018 (August 20-December 7)
Mondays: 10:00am-11:00am & 3:30pm-4:30pm
Tuesdays: 11:30am-12:30pm & 5:30pm-6:30pm
Wednesdays: 11:30am-12:30pm & 3:30pm- 4:30pm
Alternating Fridays (Aug. 24, Sept. 7 & 21, Oct. 5 & 19, Nov. 2 & 16, Dec. 7): 11:30am-12:30pm
Alternating Fridays (Aug. 31, Sept. 14 & 28, Oct. 26, Nov. 9 & 30): 11:30am-12:30pm
TEAS/PSB Test Prep:
*The Tutoring and Mentoring Center is closed any time the college is closed for holidays or professional development.
*No open sessions are held during the first or final week of an academic term. However, individual tutoring appointments are available those weeks.
*Tutoring is currently unavailable between academic terms.
Take advantage of free tutoring services at any of our three SCTC locations: Griffin, Flint River (Thomaston), and Henry County (McDonough).
Tutoring & Mentoring in room 604
Monday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Tuesday: 9:00 am-7:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Flint River Campus
Tutoring & Mentoring in room A500
Monday: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:30 am-3:30 pm
Thursday: 9:30 am-3:30 pm
Tutoring & Mentoring in room 221
Monday: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am-6:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Please keep in mind that in addition to our tutors, peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects! If you need help with something other than what you see above, contact the center where you take classes to let us know what you need.
Did you know that Tutoring and Mentoring makes house calls? That's right. We will send a TaM representative right to your door (your classroom door, that is). Please consider inviting us to speak to your students...
- at the beginning of the term
- after the first test
- before midterm
- just after the withdrawal deadline
- anytime you feel they might benefit from a reminder that academic support services are available!
Our visits can range from a 5-minute overview of our services to a full 60-minute workshop on topics such as study skills, note-taking, memorization techniques, and overcoming test anxiety.
Simply click on the button below to fill out a request form with the details of what you need, and we will get back with you within a day or two to confirm.
As set forth in full in the student handbook/course catalog, Southern Crescent Technical College is an Equal Opportunity Institution and a Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.