Tutoring & Mentoring Center Staff
Director of Tutoring/Mentoring: Liz Jester
English/Reading Tutor: Jan Purcell
Math Tutor: Kathleen Mayer
Math Tutor: James Taylor
English Tutor: Alicia Robbins-Jones
English Tutor: Mia Varnadoe
Tutoring & Mentoring Center
Welcome to the Tutoring & Mentoring Center!
- We have learning specialists who provide high-quality tutoring in the following areas: English, reading, and math.
- Student peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects.
- Open group study sessions led by tutors and/or mentors are held regularly.
- Students may schedule self-organized study groups for any subject in our collaborative space.
- ALL students (including those taking classes at any campus and online) can receive help with non-subject-specific study skills, as well as tips on time management, organization, test taking, stress reduction, and more!
- We can accommodate both pre-scheduled appointments and walk-ins. To set up an appointment with a tutor, use the "Request an Appointment" tab above.
***Online tutoring services are provided by NetTutor in the following classes: Accounting 1100, Biology 2113, Biology 2114, Chemistry 1211, English 1010, English 1101, and all Math classes.***
How to Access NetTutor
- Log into Blackboard.
- Click on the class associated with NetTutor.
- NetTutor is located in the following classes: --- ACCT 1100, BIOL 2113, BIOL 2114, CHEM 1271, ENGL 1010, ENGL 1101, and all MATH classes.
- Once in the class associated with NetTutor, click NetTutor which is located under resources.
- Click on the underlined word NetTutor.
- Accept the agreement terms.
- Click on the appropriate subject for tutoring.
- Once in the virtual classroom, you will be verbally notified of the number of students ahead of you.
- The online tutor will appear when it is your turn to be tutored.
- Students can schedule appointments online or by calling or visiting the campus they wish to receive services:
- Griffin: 770-229-3078
- Flint: 706-646-6397
- Henry: 770-914-4411
- You may schedule two appointments (30 minutes) per subject each week.
- After two scheduled appointments, students must be a walk in the remainder of the week. Be mindful that a tutor may not be available during a walk in, but we almost always have peer mentors on hand who can help you with something!
- Students are required to call if they cannot make a scheduled appointment. Failure to cancel appointments will result in being denied scheduled appointments for the rest of the semester.
- Sign in at our tracking station every time you visit the center, even if it is just to make an appointment or ask a quick question.
- Come with material to work on in your session, including copies of assignment guidelines and relevant course textbooks.
- Friends and family members may not participate in individual tutoring sessions, but any student is welcome in the center as long as he/she is not causing a disturbance to those who are working.
- Plan to arrive early for scheduled appointments so you can get yourself organized and be prepared to begin on time.
The Study Lounge
The tutoring and mentoring center offers open study sessions in Math and English on a weekly basis. We are also excited to share that we will begin offering open study sessions specifically for students studying for the PSB test! No appointment is needed to participate in an open session. A tutor or peer mentor will serve multiple students during these times. Please see below for upcoming open study session dates and times.
Open Study Session Calendar for March 2018
Tuesdays: 11:00am-12:00pm & 5:30pm-6:30pm
Wednesdays: 10:00am-11:00am & 3:30pm- 4:30pm
Thursdays: 11:00am-12:00pm & 1:00pm-2:00pm
Fridays (Mar. 2, 16, and 30 only): 11:30am-12:30pm
Fridays (Mar. 9 & 23 only): 11:30am-12:30pm
PSB Test Prep:
Mar. 8, 12, 22, & 26: 3:30pm-4:30pm
*No open sessions or appointments on March 14 & 15. The college will be closed to the public these two days.
Take advantage of free tutoring services at any of our three SCTC locations: Griffin, Flint River (Thomaston), and Henry County (McDonough).
English & Math Tutoring in room 604
Tutors: Jan Purcell, Kathleen Mayer, James Taylor
Monday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Tuesday: 9:00 am-7:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Flint River Campus
English Tutoring in room A500
Tutor: Mia Varnadoe
Monday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
English Tutoring in rooms 223 & 226
Tutor: Alicia Robbins-Jones
Monday: 10:00 am-11:30 am in Room 223
11:30 am-5:00 pm in Room 226
Tuesday: 10:00 am-6:00 pm in Room 226
Wednesday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm in Room 223
Thursday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm in Room 223
Please keep in mind that in addition to our tutors, peer mentoring is available in a wide variety of subjects! If you need help with something other than what you see above, contact the center where you take classes to let us know what you need.
As set forth in full in the student handbook/course catalog, Southern Crescent Technical College is an Equal Opportunity Institution and a Unit of the Technical College System of Georgia.