1. EDUCATION: A high school diploma from an approved agency, a GED, or a passing score on the HISET exam is required for entrance to most programs. Home school students requesting admission must submit a letter of intent to home school with verified attendance reports. This student must also submit annual progress reports or final transcript from junior and senior years including the graduation date.
2. AGE: Eligible Applicants: Individuals 16 years of age or older or dually enrolled high school students in the 10th, 11th or 12th grades who seek access to quality instruction at the post-secondary level are eligible for admissions.
The Technical College System of Georgia and its constituent Technical Colleges do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, religion, disability, age, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran of the Vietnam Era, spouse of military member or citizenship status (except in those special circumstances permitted or mandated by law). This nondiscrimination policy encompasses the operation of all technical college-administered programs, programs financed by the federal government including any Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Title I financed programs, educational programs and activities, including admissions, scholarships and loans, student life, and athletics. It also encompasses the recruitment and employment of personnel and contracting for goods and services. The Technical College System of Georgia and Technical Colleges shall promote the realization of equal opportunity through a positive continuing program of specific practices designed to ensure the full realization of equal opportunity.
3. Complete the college placement test offered by SCTC or submit satisfactory SAT or ACT if taken within the past five years. Those scores are listed on your high school transcript or you can request from collegeboard.org or www.act.org. Official transcripts from regionally or nationally accredited post-secondary institution’s documenting equivalent program-level English and Math course work may be used in lieu of completing the assessment. Some programs have additional requirements. See Testing handout for more details. COVID-19 Admissions Accommodations: If an applicant’s overall high school grade point average is 2.0 or higher they may exempt remedial course requirements for certificate, diploma, and degree programs through the 2022 Summer Semester.
4. Financial assistance is available to qualified students from a variety of federal and state sources. Students at Southern Crescent Technical College can look to several areas for financial aid: Pell Grant, HOPE Grant, and HOPE Scholarship. To be eligible for financial aid, a student must apply for admission, be accepted into an approved program of study, and have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED). Students should apply for financial aid at least two to three weeks before registering for classe All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You can apply for financial aid BEFORE being accepted into the college.
5. Provide Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States (See below for more details).
TCSG Procedure 6.2.2p: “Each college shall be responsible for the verification of the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted student applying for Georgia resident tuition status as required by state and federal immigration laws.”
How can a student verify lawful presence?
|State||DL/ID Requirements for Acceptance|
|Alabama||Must NOT be marked “FN”|
|Alaska||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|California||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term.” Instruction Permits, Commercial Learner’s Permits, and temporary licenses cannot be accepted.|
|Delaware||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”|
|Florida||Must NOT be marked “Temporary”|
|Georgia||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Idaho||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Iowa||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Kentucky||Must NOT be marked “Not for REAL ID purposes”|
|Louisiana||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Maryland||Must NOT indicate “T” restriction|
|Missouri||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Montana||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”|
|Nevada||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|North Carolina||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Ohio||Must NOT indicate that it is “nonrenewable and nontransferable”|
|Oklahoma||Must NOT be marked “Temporary”|
|South Carolina||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Tennessee||Must NOT be marked “Temporary”|
|Texas||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”|
|Vermont||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|
|Wisconsin||Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”|