About the Certified Literate Community Program
The mission of the Certified Literate Community Program is to mobilize every resource available to a community into a literacy campaign that functions within state certification guidelines and will result in a a literate community. A CLCP develops written plans appropriate to that community that will lead to the achievement of the following common goals:
- To secure the commitment of all leading public and private community organizations to the literacy campaign.
- To create and sustain public demand for a literate community.
- To achieve new enrollment annually and retain existing enrollment to the extent necessary to achieve the designation, Certified Literate Community.
- To assess and document progress and to recognize publicly the incremental economic, social and cultural benefits of literacy skills improvements achieved within the community.
- To develop a program that is capable of being sustained for the community to achieve and exhibit its ability to maintain the designation, Certified Literate Community.