Southern Crescent Technical College recognizes three student residency categories:
- Georgia Student
- Out of State Student
- Non-Citizen Student
The student residency category governs the tuition rate paid by the student.
- Georgia Student: an individual or the status of such individual who is a United States Citizen or Eligible NonCitizen and is Domiciled in the State of Georgia and meets the in-state tuition requirements.
- Eligible Non-Citizen: a person who, in accordance with Federal Title IV definition, is a United States permanent
resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551); or a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or the holder of an
Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following
designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parolee, Victim of human trafficking, or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.
- Out of State Student: a person who has not established domicile in the State of Georgia for a period of at least
12 months prior to the first day of classes for the term for which the person is intending to enroll.
- Non-Citizen Student: a person who is not a United States born or naturalized citizen of the United States.
In-State Student Requirements
To be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes, an individual must show that he/she has been a legal resident of Georgia for a period of no less than 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration. Legal Residence in the State of Georgia requires not only recent physical presence in Georgia, but also the element of intent to remain indefinitely.
We can use one or more of the following to verify in state residence:
- Georgia Driver’s License
- Voter Registration card
- Auto Registration
- Georgia State Tax Form (GA 500 form- long form)
- Utility Bill
- Mortgage Agreement
- Lease Agreement
Eligible Non-Citizens must also provide their proof of Permanent Resident status, along with one or more of the above listed items.
If you are neither a Citizen nor an Eligible Non-Citizen you are not eligible for federal or state student aid. Your status at Southern Crescent Technical College will be designated as “foreign.”
You can view the full TCSG State Residency Policy/Procedure at TCSG Procedure 6.2.2p. (V.B.3.a) Residency.