--> Veteran Education Assistance - Southern Crescent Technical College .img-jumbotron { background-image: url("/wp-content/uploads/veteransPGHero_3.jpg"); }

Veterans Education Assistance Program

Welcome Military/Veteran Student! We are excited that you are interested in Southern Crescent Technical College.

Our mission is to assist you in the process of becoming a Southern Crescent student.

Veteran Education Assistance Program

Military Friendly School 2021 - 2022

Southern Crescent Technical College is an accredited Institution of Higher Learning and approved to participate and administer Veteran’s Education Assistance programs.

Our faculty and staff are proud to assist veterans, military members, dependents and spouses in furthering their education. Veterans and survivors or dependents of veterans may be eligible for educational benefits through the Veteran Administration (VA) and active duty service members and their spouses may be eligible for tuition assistance. We are here to assist you and help you navigate through the process. Veteran Students are required to submit college transcripts.

Purple Heart Technical College

How to Apply as a Military / Veteran Student

Section 1: Apply for admission to Southern Crescent

Admissions Process

The Admissions Process varies depending on your Student Type. This section will guide you through the admission process as a "New Student." If you are a "Returning Student" or any of the other student types, follow the admission process for that student type on Apply By Student Type, then return here and continue with "Section 2: Apply for Benefits."

Step 1: Complete an Admissions Application


Pay the application fee

The application fee is $25, non-refundable. Former student application fee is waived. You can make your payment online (if you apply online), in person, by mail, or by phone at 770-228-7275.

If you have any questions about the application or admissions feel free to email admissions@sctech.edu or contact us at 770-228-7348.

To check your online application status, follow the instructions on Online Application Status.

Step 2: Submit Official Transcripts

High School Transcripts

To request your high school transcripts

  • Contact your high school or Board of Education.
  • Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope or sent electronically from your high school.
  • Many high schools use online transcript services. Check with your high school for more information.

To request Georgia High School Equivalency (GED®, HiSET®, or CAREER PLUS HSE) Transcripts:

Out of State GED transcripts

Home School Programs

Applicants who were home-schooled and attended an accredited program must submit:

  • Annual progress reports or a final transcript for the equivalent of the homeschooled student's junior and senior years;
  • The final progress report or transcript must include the graduation date.

Applicants who attended a non-accredited high school or home school must submit an official final transcript and one of the following:

  • Official scores from an assessment instrument meeting college-established required minimums. These are SAT, ACT, PSAT, PreACT, or ACCUPLACER.
  • Successful completion of 12 hours of college coursework for credit that appears on an official college transcrip

College Transcripts

Official college transcripts must be submitted if transfer credit is desired, but college transcripts are not required for admission. The transcript must be received from the college where the grade was earned.If you have attended college before, you are required to send in all college transcripts. To request your college transcripts:

  • Please contact your former college for instructions.
  • Many colleges use online transcript services. Check with your college to find out.

Joint Service Transcripts

NOTE: If the transcript is in a language other than English, provide official English translations of all secondary and post-secondary records and evaluations of those records by an approved independent evaluation service. Applicants must pay the costs of having their records translated and/or evaluated. At a minimum, applicants must have the equivalent of a high school diploma for most programs. If an applicant has an associate degree or a baccalaureate degree, a high school transcript is not required. After applicants submit this documentation, the Student Affairs Office will evaluate their application material.

Step 3: Assessment of Program Readiness

About Our Testing Services

Note: Students can now apply and be admitted without SAT/ACT/Accuplacer or any of the below scores.

Students will now be required to have a 2.0 high school GPA for Regular admittance.

If you have test scores or any of the other placement methods below we can review those for placement but are NOT required for admission.

Having your test scores helps us make sure we give you the best chance of success. The Technical College System of Georgia is committed to assisting each student to achieve at their maximum potential.

All students applying for diploma, degree, and certificate programs must be assessed prior to acceptance to a program of study at a Technical College.

We accept the following tests:

  • SAT
  • ACT/Pre-ACT
  • PSAT
  • TABE 9-10 scores of 461 or higher in Reading and 442 or higher in Math for placement into entry-level workforce certificate programs
  • TABE 11/12 scores of 501 in Reading for Levels M and D and 496 for Mathematics on Levels M and D. A score of 536 for Reading if using Level A and 537 for Mathematics if using Level A.
  • Georgia Milestones Literature & Composition or Georgia Milestones American
  • Literature & Composition (English admission requirement only)
  • High School GPA of 2.0 or higher
  • Approved Entry Level Workforce Certificates do not have a minimum High School GPA requirement
  • GED® Math or Reading must meet the minimum passing score used for placement into any certificate, diploma, or degree program
  • HiSET® Math, Reading, or Language Arts must meet the minimum passing score for placement into any certificate, diploma, or degree program.
  • Completed TCSG form documenting two years of work/career-related experience for approved Entry Level Workforce Certificates
  • Accuplacer/Companion
  • Compass/Asset

Students possessing an Associate's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution shall be exempted from placement requirements.

All scores must be valid based on the program minimum requirements. The student may be required to retest or provide acceptable transfer coursework prior to readmission.

If you are a former Southern Crescent student or attended a regional accredited institution, and you completed a College English or College Algebra course and received a grade of C or better, you are not required to take the ACCUPLACER test.

ACCUPLACER is a suite of tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. ACCUPLACER is used to identify your strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and to help you improve your skills through interactive online learning tools. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your goals and interests, are used by academic advisors to place you in the appropriate college courses.

COMPANION are paper-and-pencil format tests for students who choose to not use the computer-based test. The paper-and-pencil COMPANION tests have been designed to use the same score scales as the computer-adaptive tests in ACCUPLACER.

For more information about testing, see our Testing Services page.

Griffin Campus: 770-467-6031 Flint River Campus: 706-646-6226
Henry County Center: 770-914-4412 Jasper County Center: 706-468-9930
Butts County Center: 770-504-7590

Step 4: Proof of Citizenship and Residency

TCSG Procedure 6.2.2p: “Each college shall be responsible for the verification of the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted student applying for Georgia resident tuition status as required by state and federal immigration laws.”

How can a student verify lawful presence?

  • Students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and are eligible for federal student aid will have their lawful presence verified as part of the FAFSA process.
  • A clear copy of an original or certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory, A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). The copy must very clearly show the raised or written seal to be acceptable.
  • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
  • A current U.S. Passport.
  • Unexpired Georgia and select out of state Drivers licenses and state ID cards can be accepted under certain conditions. It must be a Real ID and not contain any of the verbiage listed in the table on the Admissions Policy page.  If the copy received has the top portion of the card cut off the document will not satisfy lawful presence.
  • A current military ID (service member only, not dependent). Documented using the Confirmation of Review of Military ID Worksheet - A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551). We require both the front & back sides of your Permanent Resident Card to be submitted. It must not expire before the first day of class of the term the student will start classes.
  • Students admitted on an F, J or M Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
  • Students admitted on any other Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program.
Step 5: Do not wait! Apply for Financial Aid today

Complete the FAFSA

To receive any financial aid you must complete the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov).
  • Southern Crescent’s School Code is: 005621

This application is required for the Pell Grant, HOPE Grant, HOPE Scholarship, Student Access Loan, and other financial assistance programs.

Individuals may apply for financial aid BEFORE being before accepted to the College.

If you would like to learn more about what financial aid may be available to you, visit our Financial Aid page.

Complete a 'HOPE Scholarship Evaluation Request Form'

If you are enrolling in an Associate’s Degree program please complete the "Hope Scholarship Evaluation Request Form"

The request form is not available for completion online. Download, print and submit to the Registrar’s Office at any SCTC location.

Step 6: Accepted

Acceptance Letter

Be sure to check your Online Application Stuatus to keep track of your application process. Statuses are updated as documents are received.

You should receive your acceptance letter in about 24-48 hours via email after you have been accepted.

Meet with Career Advisor

Meet with your Career Advisor to register for your classes.

You can find out how to contact your advisor on the Advisement page.

Attend Orientation (ROAR)

SCTC provides an orientation program to fully inform new and returning students on all areas of the College. The orientation session provides an opportunity for students to become familiar with the policies and procedures, and programs of study. It will also introduce students to the college administrators and student activities. Students are responsible for obtaining information presented at orientation sessions.

For details please visit the ROAR (Orientation) page.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Full payment of outstanding charges is due to the college the day before the semester begins.

For Tuition and Fees details/information, visit the Tuition and Fees page.

Section 2: Apply for Benefits

Apply online through VONAPP (Veterans ON-line Application Website)

To learn more about these programs, log on to the VA website for Education and Training, or contact the VA hotline at 1-888-442-4551.

Check the Veteran Education Benefits page for details on benefits requirements, and ensuring you keep you benefits.

Section 3: Once you have registered for classes, submit a request for Enrollment Certification

Each semester you are enrolled and want to use your benefits, you must submit a request for Enrollment Certification (your schedule of classes to the VA Certifying Official) at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester. You will receive a notification email from the VA Enrollment Manager system, after your enrollment is certified.

Section 4: Payment of Tuition and Fees

Full payment of outstanding charges is due to the college the day before the semester begins.

For Tuition and Fees details/information, visit the Tuition and Fees page.

Note: Make sure your contact information is up to date with the Southern Crescent Technical College Office of Admissions.

Chapter 30, Chapter 35, Chapter 1606

Payment of your benefits is made directly to you.

Chapter 31 and Chapter 33

Students using Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) or Chapter 33 (the Post 9/11 GI Bill®) benefits are permitted to attend or participate in the course of study beginning on the date on which the student provides to the Southern Crescent Technical College (SCTC) a Certificate of Eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33. SCTC will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees or the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other college facilities. SCTC will not require any student who is using Chapter 31 or 33 to borrow additional funds due to the student’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to SCTC due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veterans Affairs under Chapter 31 or 33.

Students must submit their Certificate of Eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of study for which they have indicated they would like to use their educational benefits and provide a copy of their schedule to the Veteran’s Center located in Builing 100 on the Griffin Campus or call 770-229-3095. A student is then protected in his or her courses while the Veterans Administration processes payment to SCTC. This benefit is afforded to the student as long as he or she is receiving benefits under Chapter 31 or 33. Students are responsible for notifying the college school certifying officer if his or her schedule should change. Failure to do so could cause an overpayment of VA funds.

Note: Students are responsible for all tuition and fee charges not covered by your VA education benefits or other financial aid.